Yesterday (November 10, 2015), Microsoft released Update Rollup (UR) 8 for System Center Service Manager. With this update, comes the long awaited (and very welcomed) new Self-Service Portal!
This new portal is completely HTML based, and does not use Sliverlight.
Here is a screenshot supplied by Microsoft showing what the new portal looks like.
Although this is very exciting, beware!
There have been reports (from other MVPs) of several issues with this new portal/update, including:
- Reference to KB3096383, although the specific KB does not exist
- No Update Rollup (UR) 8 for the other Service Manager components (i.e. Management Server, and Data Warehouse Server); basically UR8 is the install of the new portal only
- Unable to install the new Portal on the Data Warehouse Management Server
- Unless you run the installer “As Administrator”, you will encounter an error about Internet Information Services (IIS) 7 not being installed
- The installation documentation states that System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager Update Roll-Up 8 or later is required; although there is no UR8 for the rest of the Service Manager components
- The Update Rollup download includes a file called “Portal.mpb”, but when attempting to import it, you receive a message stating that it is already installed
- Some links within the setup refer to the “Technical Preview” documentation
- Incident’s created through the new portal are logged under the Service Account, instead of the user that is logged into the portal
- Service Requests cannot be cancelled
- The default language is set to French (even on an English system)
I have not installed the new portal yet, but will test these issues as well. For now, I’d recommend not installing the new portal in Production, and wait for these issues to be corrected.
For reference, the build/version number of the UR8 in question is: 7.5.3079.507.
Stay tuned while I install the new portal and post about my experience.